In each of these artists, the listener becomes important to the carrying of the message. As artists after creating the music it is then in the hands of the listener to interpret and carry the message. Rachel E. Sullivan found, in her study, that the true meaning behind rap is for the listeners rather than the artist. The artists have intentions of creating songs that address relevant social issues to the African American community, like gang violence, police brutality, poverty and racism. Yet it is important to realize how the listener interprets this meaning, whether they understand the true intentions of rap. One finding from the study is the racial gap that creates a preference for rap music. Between African Americans and Whites, African Americans were able to name more rap artists and the meaning behind their songs. Yet,White people enjoy listening to rap music, but they cannot drawa connection between the meaning for the songs because they are the oppressors. African Americans listened to rap for the truthful lyrics, and these lyrics, as a result, taught them about life. In this study, Sullivan concluded that her research led her “to believe that although Black and White adolescents are saying that they like rap, they may be getting two different messages from the same music” (Sullivan 616). Many African Americans look to rap music for the messages and meanings behind the lyrics about life and resistance, as they must continue to fight the oppression. However, White people listen to rap purely for enjoyment and the pleasing sound of the music. For example, famous rappers like Kendrick Lamar is a hit in the rap industry among all races. Yet, African Americans listen to their music because it is a connection. The ideas both rappers are rapping about are concentrated on all the hate and violence they endured growing up. They used rap as a means to combat these issues in the world for others that have struggle with the same issues. Yet white people would listen to their music and cannot draw that deep connection because they are the oppressors. Rap offers a counter dominant message that African Americans used as an affirmation of their experiences.
All Research Proposal
- WRITTEN Piaget believes in certain principles of development. His
- I assistant trainee manager in which the skills that
- Abstract—In parameter. In addition, weevaluated the performance of the
- To contraception (Oudshoorn, 2004). Over the past 50 years,
- Background policies focus on extension of the centralised grid.
- ICICI EPS increased to 32.19 and after that company
- Dagens i 1600-1700 tallet, var det veldig mye overtroiske
- Mental is concerned in the cognizance of their abilities,
- Årsakene Kroatia, Slovenia og Bosnia-Herzegovina, som var katolsk dominert.